Dr Prem Mahendra MD, FRCP, FRCPath is Consultant Haemato-Oncologist at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, University Hospital Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust.
She was born in Sri Lanka and had her schooling at St Barnabas and St Philip’s School, Kensington, Ladies College, Colombo and St Catherine’s Senior School in Twickenham. She trained in haematology at the Royal Marsden, Hammersmith and Addenbrookes Hospitals and was appointed Consultant Haemato-Oncologist at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham in February 1998.
On her arrival there she set up the bone marrow transplant services, it is now the largest bone marrow transplant centre in the UK and performs approximately 325 transplants per year.
Her areas of clinical interests are care of patients with leukaemia, myeloma and lymphoma and those undergoing autologous, allogeneic stem cell transplantation and CAR-T therapy. She has a passionate desire to provide an excellent and prompt clinical service and instils this ethos in the several junior doctors who have trained and continue to train under her.
Her research interests are all related to clinical outcome of patients undergoing stem cell transplantation or having treatment for haematological malignancies. She has over 80 publications in peer reviewed journals.
Her other roles include:
- Associate Medical Director Oct 2013 – January 2020
- Chair Haematology Training Committee, West Midlands – Nov 2005 – February 2013
- Regional Specialty Advisor in Haematology – Oct 2006 – February 2013
- Medical Advisory Panel of Lymphoma Association
- Examiner for Royal College of Pathology
- Reviewer for Cancer Help UK
- Divisional Director Jan 2007 – Oct 2013
- Chair – Haematology Site Specific Group, Pan Birmingham Cancer Network June 2001-Sept 2003
- Clinical Service Lead in Haematology April 1999-July 2006
- Lead Clinician in Haemato-Oncology Feb 1998-July 2006
- Lead Cancer Clinician, UHB NHS FT Nov 2004 – Nov 2006
“Where do I start? Words do not express sufficiently the gratitude we all feel. You are without an element of doubt an expert within your field. You have given us our daughters life back and we are forever indebted to you. “
Membership of societies:
Private patients are seen either at the Priory Hospital, Priory Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham B5 7UG or at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital. For appointments please see the Contact page.